Howes & Howes, Attorneys at Law

Print This Email This

Leaving New Jersey with the child of a divorce

It is not uncommon to move out of New Jersey after divorcing.  If there are children involved, then you can not just pull up stakes and move.  You will need either the consent of the child’s other parent or a court order.

An increasing number of children are living with one custodial parent while the other parent lives in a separate home.  While child custody and visitation agreements vary, typically the parents share joint legal custody, with residential custody vested in one parent.

Quite often, the parent with residential custody will decide to move out of New Jersey, either for personal reasons or for economic reasons.  Under New Jersey law, the primary residential caregiver cannot move out of the state without the consent of the non-custodial parent, or a court order.  N.J.S.A. 9:2-2

The purpose of the law is to protect the visitation rights of the non-custodial parent and because it is in the best interest of the child to maintain visitation with both parents.

When a move is proposed, the best route is to negotiate an agreement between the parents.  If the parents reach an agreement, it is best to memorialize the agreement in writing, and preferably in a formal agreement with the benefit of legal counsel.  If the parents cannot agree, then the custodial parent must seek a court order prior to moving.

If the non-custodial parent objects to a move, then the custodial parent, acting through an attorney files a motion with the court.  Many times the court will hold a full hearing in court prior to making its decision.  The court will consider many factors including the reasons for the move, the effect that the move will have on visitation, and when appropriate, the wishes of the children.

The parent seeking to move must obtain the court order before leaving.  It is unwise to move first, and seek a court order second.  If there is a legitimate need to move quickly, then the court may take the case on an expedited basis.  If the custodial parent does not first seek a court order, then he or she risks criminal sanctions for interference with custody.

Howes & Howes has successfully handled many contested cases in which the custodial parent seeks to move out of New Jersey.  If you or your ex-spouse are contemplating such a move, then you should contact Howes & Howes.


This website is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice to any reader. No attorney-client relationship between the reader and Howes & Howes, Attorneys at Law is created by this site, and no reader should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content in this site. One should only rely on the advice of a qualified attorney licensed to practice law in the reader's jurisdiction. The attorneys of Howes & Howes are licensed to practice law only in the State of New Jersey. Content Copyright 2007-2011 Howes & Howes • All rights reserved.